letter 279085 1280

I Just Got Divorced and Want My Maiden Name Back

There are a lot of things that a person has to sort out after their divorce. Aside from usual matters pertaining to property, custody, insurance, and the like, you can also change your name. It’s not necessary, but for others, it’ll help them get back on their feet after the divorce.

If you’re from Texas and happen to be one of those people who want a name change, but don’t know how to go about it, here’s how.

Sort It Out During Divorce

Usually, name changes, such as getting one’s maiden name back, are sorted out during the divorce process. But if you weren’t able to get it done during your divorce, or maybe you just decided you need it after your divorce, you can still change it.

Ask the Court to Amend Your Decree

Just go back to the court that handled your divorce. Ask them to amend your divorce decree and add a provision for you to get your maiden name back. This procedure can then be used to change your name back to your maiden name. But, if the court is unable to amend your decree you will then need to make a petition.

Get a Separate Petition for a Name Change

If you are filing a petition to change your name, you will need to get a copy of the petition. Make sure that you have all the correct and proper information required by the document. Once you are sure everything you put in the document is true, you will need to have it notarized. You can then file this document at your local district clerk. After that, all you have to do is wait.

Depending on your case or where you filed, you may have to appear before the court. This is necessary before they can actually approve your name change. Once approved, whether by amending the divorce decree or a separate petition, you must file more paperwork for other government agencies. These agencies include the Social Security Agency among others. You will need inform them of your change of name.

While some people may not find it that important to have their name changed after their divorce, other people may think it necessary. Whether it’s to help them get back on their feet or because they really just want their maiden name back, getting your name changed isn’t such a difficult process. For as long as you know what you need to do, the process of getting your name changed will go smoothly.

The following two tabs change content below.
Mr. Hutton is a Divorce and Custody Lawyer based out of Round Rock, TX. His background is with child psychology at Arizona State University where he received a B.S. in 2006, and he continued this by working with the Children’s Right’s Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law where he received his J.D. in 2009. Throughout his practice, he has been a strong proponent of utilizing modern technology to improve his practice and the representation of his clients. He currently is the technology chair of CAFA of Travis County and is committed to improving and modernizing the practice of law in Texas. If you have any questions you can contact him at timothy.hutton@austintexaslegal.com

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *