Prison 007

Time limitations on enforcement of child support arrears 2

Many people assume that the attorney general stops enforcing child support arrears when the child turns 18. Often, however, this is not the case, and can lead to some scary situations for people who are unprepared. In Texas, the law states that the court maintains their jurisdiction for up to 2 years after the obligation ends. That means that an enforcement action can be filed well after the actual child support obligation ends, and even further than that, the action itself can stretch years longer.

I just argued a case recently where an enforcement action was filed barely within the 2 year deadline, but they were not able to serve the non-custodial parent for almost another 2 years. This meant that I was in front of a judge arguing for why my client should not be sent to jail for repayment of a debt to a parent with whom the child no longer lived, and did not support the child in any way. The silver lining for my client was that he was determined to be fully disabled and was on veteran’s disability and the judge refrained from enforcing a jail sentence, but it was a scary situation for my client nevertheless.

As crazy as it sounds that the state can jail you to enforce a private debt that in no way benefits the child, the bottom line is that it CAN happen at the moment, and it is important to be aware of that. Additionally, even beyond the 2 year time limitation, even if the debt cannot be enforced via a jail sentence it doesn’t go away. Tax refunds, bonds, and any other mechanisms available of enforcing civil judgments are still available to be used, and interest still accrues during this time. It is very easy to get buried in child support debt, and unlike other forms of debt, it is much harder, if not impossible, to get rid of.

It is extremely important to pay attention to your child support payments, and also to be sure that the amount of the child support payment is in line with your current income. If you are a non-custodial parent who is forced to take a lower paying job, you should start the modification process sooner rather than later, as the longer you wait, the longer the higher payments accrue. Conversely, if you are a custodial parent and you think the non-custodial parent makes significantly more money now, it is important to modify sooner rather than later as the court rarely orders it retroactively in those situations.

The bottom line for everyone is to not let these issues fall to the wayside, to stay vigilant, and when in doubt, to contact an attorney who can explain your options.

The following two tabs change content below.
Mr. Hutton is a Divorce and Custody Lawyer based out of Round Rock, TX. His background is with child psychology at Arizona State University where he received a B.S. in 2006, and he continued this by working with the Children’s Right’s Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law where he received his J.D. in 2009. Throughout his practice, he has been a strong proponent of utilizing modern technology to improve his practice and the representation of his clients. He currently is the technology chair of CAFA of Travis County and is committed to improving and modernizing the practice of law in Texas. If you have any questions you can contact him at

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 thoughts on “Time limitations on enforcement of child support arrears

  • Julia L

    It is in the best interests of both members of a divorce, that they seek the assistance of a legal attorney to avoid getting buried in child support debt. Moreover an attorney can ensure that either member does not end up paying way more than he/she is entitled too, and can assure that the amount of debt is in line with their current income. This is especially important for a single non-custodial parent who may be forced to take up a low paying job. Waiting too long to commence a modification process can straight away increase payment accrued.

  • don gordon

    I’m 64 years old and divorced in the 1990 or 1995, after the divorce she left Texas and took my 2 children to the West coast and I never spoke or saw them again, I stopped paying support as we had no idea where they were, I never spoke to her again. I’m semi retired now and suddenly she has returned to Texas and is seeking arearages after living in Nevada, California and Seattle and the 2 children are over 30 years old. I even went to court in Dallas in early 1990s and she was a no show, but I had no attorney that day to motion for a dismiss. I only get 990 dollars a month and they want 600 of it, can I get it modified it dismissed