calculator 385506 1280

What to Do When Your Ex-Spouse Can No Longer Pay Child Support

Raising a child is a rather hard task on its own. You can only imagine how much harder it gets if you have to do it on your own. That’s why you’ll need all the help you can get, including child support. There’s just so much you’ll have to spend to raise your child, after all. But if child support just doesn’t come, what are you going to do? If you happen to find yourself in this situation, consider the following steps to help you through this predicament.

Find Out Why It Stopped Coming

The first most rational thing you can do when you realize that child support isn’t coming is to ask your ex why. Before jumping to conclusions or panicking, you could first approach your ex and ask why you didn’t get any child support this time. There must be a reason why. If they’re also going through a rough patch financially, you could probably work something out with them. But if it just so happens that your ex just decided not to send altogether, or maybe your ex is rather unreasonable and just a difficult person to deal with, you can then opt to seek further action.

Discuss Your Situation with a Lawyer

If your ex is just being plainly unreasonable, seeking the help of a lawyer can help you with your situation. The best way to help deal with an unreasonable ex-spouse would be to get a lawyer to help with your case as they can help you find a course of action to take. The lawyer will tell you what you need to do and what you need to prepare so that you can bring this issue to the court. That way the court can then help you get the child support that you need to help raise your child.

Find Other Sources of Income

Whether you’re just waiting for your spouse to help get back on their feet financially or waiting for the court to help deal with a spouse unwilling to send child support, the best way to help get you through this situation would be to find another source of income in the meantime. You can find another job with flexible work hours. There’s also the option of making an investment that will benefit you and your child later on. You can also ask for help from family and friends in the meantime. There is no shame in asking for help, after all. Whatever it is, finding an alternative source of income can also help you through this.

Any good parent would want to give their child the best. No one would want to stay in a financially binding situation, especially if they have a child to raise. That’s why you need to act fast if you find yourself in this situation so that you can resolve this problem as soon as possible.

The following two tabs change content below.
Mr. Hutton is a Divorce and Custody Lawyer based out of Round Rock, TX. His background is with child psychology at Arizona State University where he received a B.S. in 2006, and he continued this by working with the Children’s Right’s Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law where he received his J.D. in 2009. Throughout his practice, he has been a strong proponent of utilizing modern technology to improve his practice and the representation of his clients. He currently is the technology chair of CAFA of Travis County and is committed to improving and modernizing the practice of law in Texas. If you have any questions you can contact him at

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *